The department of economics provides teaching in academic courses of HS and understand graduate level in particular and special classes in post graduate level of IDOL (an open and distance learning program under Gauhati University). We are providing teaching on under graduate program for both Regular and Honours courses of Arts and science stream.
The department was started from the date of the establishment of the college on the 8th August, 1955 as an affiliated institution of higher education under Gauhati University. The founder faculty members of the department are Prof. Jyotis Das, Prof Troilokya Baruah and Prof. Bishnu Prasad Khaund. At the starting the department was only for Arts but with the starting of science stream in the college in the year 1966, the department joints the science stream with introduction of econometrics as one of the optional paper in hons/major course. In 1993 the GU permitted MA course in the department, but with the starting of IDOL the GU stopped permission of admission in MA in Economics in the Goalpara College.
- Abdul Hussain, Associate Professor & HOD.
- Manisha Bhattacharyya, Assistant Professor (Selection grade)
- Lutfor Rahman, Assistant Professor (Senior scale)
- Rituparna Kalita, Assistant Professor
Our Department has a bright contribution towards the development of human resources in this impoverished remote corner of Rural Assam, in the North East India. Our Alumni are providing services in different departments of the state and central Govt. Although each and every alumni of our department is important to us, still we are enlisting some of them for their outstanding service to their respective departments.
- Dr. B K Nath, Retired DPI (Higher education, Assam).
- Prof. ASR Ahmed, Retd. Vice Principal, Goalpara College.
- Dr. Deva Chakraborty, Professor, Dibrugarh University.
- Dr. Ahijuddin Seikh, Retd. Principal, B N College, Dhubri.
- Nilasmita Basumatary, Working in RBI, Guwahati Branch.